Sunday, February 11

Mori girl is back?

 Or is it 'mori kei' these days?

Now I am 30 years old, living my days in Tokyo with my Japanese husband.
Seems surreal looking back on this blog I started 13 years ago.

Even more surreal is seeing mori fashion make a comeback to some degree...

(Not to be a pedant, but 'mori kei' as a title really wasn't/isn't a thing in Japan- rather 'mori girl' was the title. But I digress). 

Anywho- living in Japan now, it is still exciting to see the brands and clothes and stores I pined for back in high school. As I do occasional freelance modeling now (feel free to roast me about this), it is even more exciting to sometimes work with the brands that I saved to my Pinterest all those years ago!

As a forever mori-girl-at-heart, here are a few life updates that would have had 20-year-old me squealing with glee:

  • Grimoire (which doesn't seem to be around anymore at the time of writing this post) - was a store I had dreamt about visiting. Although more dolly-kei, their whimsical store and styling captivated me. Back in 2017 (which in itself is already 7 years ago!), I had the chance to model for their online store.

  • Closer to my 'style icons': Whilst I haven't had the chance to meet them in person, my husband (who is involved with film & TV media - a whole other story in itself) has- and I've made sure to ask him to put in a good word for me! A year or so ago, he met Aoi Yu- and mentioned that I was a fan, and about my love for her style back in my 'mori girl' days. One day, I can meet her face-to-face, and be an obnoxious fan. Sigh.
  • Writing for and being featured in Japanese magazines that, as I teenager, I would download illegal scans of from shady websites - Popeye, GINZA, Madame Figaro - a few of the publications I have worked with for both translation, modeling and as a person interested in shopping and vintage fashion in Japan. Some of my work is featured on my Instagram highlights! (1, 2)
  • Talking and working with people involved in the fashion that was so near and dear to me when I was in high school - being able to share similar interests, and expressing my appreciation for their work.
Whilst I can't say I will dress in the mori girl style again any time soon (although if there is a complete revival of it all, who knows!), it is still an important part of my character. Heck, I still find myself buying issues of old mori girl magazines I find in the second-hand book stores around the city!

Who knows, I might start up this blog again to share more information about mori fashion of that time (eek - it was only 15 years ago at the very latest!) - let me know if you are interested. 

I am somewhat active on Instagram (@akafukuu), where you can see some of my more recent fashion and work, and occasionally post to TikTok

Thank you all :)




No comments:

Post a Comment